Tuesday, April 8, 2008

FInished all level 7 Quests

Total Play Time 5 Hours 14 minutes

Finished all level 7 quests (5 of them)

I was advancing easily through the level 7 content when I came across the "Canyon River Gauntlet" quest. Prior to trying this quest I had never failed to beat one on my first try, but after getting completely destroyed three times and loosing most of my God Favor in resurrecting my troops I decided that it was just too difficult at my current level.

After finished the other four level 7 quests, I sat there staring at the coin for "Canyon River Gauntlet" at a loss. I knew I was not yet powerful enough to overcome this challenge, yet I was unwilling to continue without first finishing all content at this level.

I decided to go back and locate a quest that would help my troops gain a level or two while giving me the resources I needed to continue expanding my city. I found "Lumber Raid" to be just such a quest. Even on gold, I was able to beat the quest by putting out one melee troop and one ranged, then retreating the damaged melee troop after the first encounter and putting out a random second troop to finish the quest. In this way I was able to gain experience for multiple units while gaining god favor due to very low losses. Since I was questing on gold level, the armor drops were also superior.

After running "Lumber Raid" 5 times on gold level, gaining 2 precious peasants, over 200 wood and a smaller amount of other resources each run, I went back to "Canyon River Gauntlet" and was able to overcome it first try.

Status
Nation level 9
Peasants: 63
Farms: 7
Houses: 12
Lumber Mills: 3
Stone Quarey 2
Units
25 Human Archers: level 4
12 Human Light Cavalry: level 3
21 Human Pikemen: level 2
25 Human Spearmen: level 4
25 Human Light Infantry: level 2
4 Human Swordmaidens: level 1
Fireball: level 1
Rally: level 1
Heal: level 1
Bless: level 1
Holy Light: level 1

2 comments:

Kotetsu said...

Howdy there, just noticed this blog at the bottom of the Saga page. It's pretty cool, because I'm attempting to play Saga free as well (literally living from pay check to pay check, and the beginning of the college term means text books and tuition on top of everything else).

I started on Saturday, the 5th and just got to Nation level 10 (though admittedly I've put in a lot more play time, I've been playing around trying to figure out the game mechanics a lot).

I've decided that this game was definitely a good find, and appreciate that it was designed to be at least feasible to play without paying.

Keep up the good work, I'll be following the blog to see if I can pick up any useful cost-free building and growing techniques.

Slava Zatuchny said...

The new manual has just been uploaded. It is a great resource for new players

www.sagadownload.com/saga_manual.pdf

About Me

I am the Marketing Director for Silverlode Interactive. You may find me trolling the forums at www.playsaga.com